Friday, March 11, 2011

Artist Profile: David Smith

I recently went over to David's rad apartment in Greenpoint, Brooklyn to learn more about him and talk about art and things like that. He made me a cup of coffee and we sat down and had a thoughtful conversation. Artist's stop frontin'! Let's get together and encourage each others work! Stuff like that. He has been working as a photographer, musician, visual artist, and most recently, an art teacher at SUNY college and he is just really nice to spend time with. His apartment is currently in the works to become more of an open space for projects and collaborations, I certainly look forward to seeing what comes into fruition there as it is such an inviting place to be. I remember well the first time I ever saw David play under the 2nd best band name ever, Doom Trumpet. I was like "WTF." Yeah, it was so awesome to see a solo performance with so much sound and layers...just one man, a microphone, an amp and a looping pedal. I was so inspired by the fact that you can rock out by yourself, which he certainly does (ummmm Space is the Place). It was an honor then to have a live performance right in David's apartment just for us, the debut of his new song (officially named in my presence) Waterfalls. The more I watch this video the more I realize what a bad ass song it is, he is so humble and generous in his performance.........



But there was still so much important information to be uncovered about David.....so without further ado, I bring you a glimpse into the mind of David Smith in this shocking and controversial interview............



Please do yourself a favor and check out David's work here as well as listen to some Doom Trumpet originals....(ummmmmmm, Space is the Place)!

No comments:

Post a Comment