Thursday, October 1, 2009

To The Curiosity In Us All...Do it for Studs!

It is October. Seriously? Yes.

I am taking this moment, this month, maybe the rest of my life to honor a fairly recent discovery. His name is Studs Terkel and he is a pioneer and a true hero of American Journalism. He died last October at the age of 96 and never stopped trying to share the voice of the real America. The hard working people who have immense worth and stories to tell, but it takes people like Studs to get these stories out there. He is beyond an inspiration to me right now, encapsulating my new found respect and love for my country a la Steinbeck, Ferlinghetti, and now...Terkel. A while back I was listening to NPR and they played some of his interviews with survivors of the Depression; I was moved like I ain't been in a long long time. I picked up his book
Hard Times yesterday which goes more in depth with the era and the people who lived through it as well as Studs process of documenting these stories. I've only read the foreward and feel honored and like I'm doing my job as a human by exploring this piece of work further. Studs, this month is for you. For the people who just want to count and your beautiful way of letting them know that they do. Serious tip of the hat.

Please, if you have some time, you can listen to the Depression Era Interviews and understand a little more about where our country came from, it's amazing how much has changed. Frightening actuallly.

Guys, I think I found a Grandpa. But he's dead too.




1912-2008 Thanks Dude.

1 comment:

  1. grandpa! i listened to the interviews... i think i'm going to go get 'hard times' today. i love you sister

    ReplyDelete