Monday, July 20, 2009

And so Dear Friends, We just have to.....

....carry on. The Dream is not over yet though.

Sometimes you meet people who inspire you, they are utterly committed to themselves and their lives and just get shit done. Though I was only staying with them for a few days, I felt incredibly encouraged by knowing that people like Drew and Cindy exist in this world. They bought land just outside of Ashland, Oregon years ago with 4 young kids and lived out of a trailer...and yurts actually, while building their own home, and it's a beautiful home as you've seen. I felt a little bit silly interviewing them and I think they felt a little bit silly being interviewed, but we played nicely and after eating some burgers and fried potatoes, chilled in the living room to bump this out:


1. Describe America in One Word?
Drew: Contradictory. It should be split up, it's so opposed.
Cindy: Busy.

2. If you Could Change One Thing About America What Would It be?
Drew: Wall in the cities, I'd never let anyone out.
Cindy: No greed allowed.

3. What's your favorite food?
Drew: Chile Rellenos (they did both argue over who got to pick this one though)
Cindy: Deep fried halibut

4. Who is a Hero in your life?
Drew: Bob Dylan. He's just cool.
Cindy: My aunt Sylvia. Yeah, she was pretty cool.

5. What is the biggest stress you have in your life?
Drew: The condition of the world is pretty stressful, I don't know why people don't just march on Washington.
Cindy: My work. No, I'm changing that. Our Computer. I'm so ready to throw it in a creek right now.

6. If you could be any animal what would it be?
Drew: A dolphin and a falcon. (I allowed him the double choice, can you imagine being both?A Dolcon.)
Cindy: I think I would be a bird, like a hawk. A soaring bird.

7. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
Drew: (after much time)..I'm such a droit (sp?) lover. (I think he means he's good in the sack, I didn't really ask him to elaborate on this one, which was probably why he said it)
Cindy: As I'm getting older I'm getting better at making time to do things I want to. Like picking mushrooms. It helps to not have kids around though too.

8. What "words of wisdom" do you have to pass on?
Drew: Figure out where your passion is and don't settle for less.
Cindy: Don't shit where you eat.

I got nothing to say. Wish I could communicate these feelings more articulately for you, but I am just going to have to settle for keeping them to myself. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment